Sunday, 21 June 2009

DIY Project #3 - The Heart Handbag

This was a long one. It took aaages, with all the fiddling with eyelets and handsewing...
& I'm quite glad I have finished at last :)

I wanted a heart shaped bag for my sixth form end-of-year prom
to go with my new floaty moschino dress ()
I had found this one:-

But at £22, I thought it was a bit expensive, so I set about making my own,
using a heart shaped box that I found (originally from Ikea), some black satin, a cream silk scarf, some gold chain and a few eyelets.

First of all, I used some good old spray mount
to attach the black satin to the outer part of the heart shaped box.

I then finished off the edges,
and made a 'bridge' to go between the two halves,
so they allow the two to stretch apart, using some black lining fabric,
with elastic sewn into the top.

I then cut the cream silk scarf in half,
and hand sewed the pieces into the inner of each heart piece...which was extremely fiddly.

I then put two eyelets in each side, for the chain to go through,
and then threaded the gold chain strap through the holes.

Here's my final outcome!


& it cost me about £5...
i just hope it lasts the night and doesn't fall apart!


Tuesday, 9 June 2009

DIY Project #2 - The Blazer

Plain black vintage blazer, with a few adaptions...
(£10 from a vintage thrift shop)
I replaced the buttons with little gold, shiny new ones,
turned up the sleeves, and took it in at the waist.
I added lace, some gold chain & my grandma's cameo brooch to the pocket.

It's so pretty it makes me a little happier whenever I look at it.


Sunday, 7 June 2009

DIY Project #1 - The Bow T-Shirt...

So... it's been a very long time since I first set this up, and this is my first post :)
Recently, whilst browsing, I have come across a few tops and dresses which are decorated with large, but very pretty bows:-

Due to my lack of fundings, I decided that I would have a go at making my own DIY version of one of these crunch styleee.

I got hold of an old long sleeved t-shirt, and chopped the sleeves off.

I then made a small bow out of some wide satin ribbon
- to go in the middle of the larger lace bow

Using an old 'scarf' (or small net curtain as it turned out to be...)

...I cut out various pieces and sewed then together on the sewing machine. After pinning and sewing them all onto the front of the t-shirt, this was my final outcome:-


And it cost me half nothing. Good times.